Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Spread Thin

As you may already know, a colleague and I recently started a start-up technology R&D company. My colleague and I are the operational managers (he is the President, I am the Vice president), and we own the company in equal shares with a third non-operational partner at Lincoln University who is acting as a scientific advisor. The company is called Emergent Sensor Technologies, and you can learn more about us here. We are currently in the process of requesting Small Business Innovation Research funding through a number of agencies. Our small arsenal of concepts are currently being developed for potential commercialization. The patents are pending on these, so until we have sufficient intellectual property protection for our concepts, I am going to avoid divulging any details on the projects. As these concepts mature, though, I plan to provide updates on their progress here on this blog, as well as the research section of our website, which is currently pretty much void of any useful information.

As you may also already know, I am currently a post-doctorate researcher at Lincoln University in Jefferson City, MO. Here at LU I work on and oversee various projects, write grant proposals (seemingly endlessly), mentor students interested in research, and manage several laboratories on campus. My lab work is split between overseeing projects being conducted by others as well as pursuing my own research interests. I really enjoy my work at LU, as I have a lot of latitude with respect to my research activities and am free to work on and request funding for my own little pet projects.

As you probably don't already know, I am in the process of taking on a third (and hopefully final) job as a senior research scientist at Mizzou, my beloved alma mater. As I finished my doctorate research at MU, I was conducting a pilot study in order to gather some preliminary data for a research project that was to continue after I graduated. The preliminary data was used in a small piece of a relatively large-scale research proposal, which was subsequently funded. So I have been called back to MU to oversee that portion of the project so that the deliverables that were proposed can be met in the short time frame of 1 year; the current duration of the project.

Yes, that's right. I will now be splitting my time between Emergent Sensor Technologies, Lincoln University, and the University of Missouri. Three different positions at three different institutions doing all sorts of different science-y things.

Can I handle it? Hell yes! I love science.

No comments:

Post a Comment