Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm Not Oprah

And this isn't Oprah's Book Club. However, I thought I would share my current reading list. The following is a sort of rough reading schedule. Rarely is this my actual schedule during the course of a day, but over a period of a week or so, I normally get around to reading each of these resources at least a couple of times to stay up-to-date.

My morning at the office normally starts between 7:30 and 8, and comes with a big cup of coffee in my favorite hand-thrown Trotter mug. I start by checking my sister's Tumblr media blog, Liberry Cobbler, because it's always very entertaining. In fact, she's much more engaging than I, so I highly recommend this one. Next, I make my way over to Nobel-award-winning economist Paul Krugman's blog, The Conscience of a Liberal. His blog also has links to his most recent columns, and I always keep up with both.

Now, as far as science-y blogs go, of course Wired Magazine's science blog, Wired Science, is going to be where it's at. Somehow Wired has been able to amass an unprecedented number of hip, knowledgeable geeks, which I know sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true. Another science and tech blog that I can't necessarily recommend because I just added it to my reading list this morning is Pharyngula. This blog is authored by a biology professor at University of Minnesota-Morris, and is at the top of everyone's 'best' list. Seriously, just search for 'top science blogs' and you will be hard pressed to find a link that doesn't have Pharyngula listed in the top 5.

While we're on the subject of science reading, I should note that Lincoln University provides access to Elsevier's scientific database, ScienceDirect. This database includes some of the best journals in my field, including Biosensors and Bioelectronics and Sensors and Actuators. It's worth mentioning that I might be biased, as I have been featured in both of these publications. But hey, I never claimed to be objective here.

And because I enjoy all things bicycle- and cycling-related, I read Bike Snob NYC and CoMo CyCo, two very fine bicycle-themed blogs, everyday while I eat lunch. There are a few more blogs that I enjoy, but they are updated much less regularly. These include my mother's blog, A Room Without Books? No Way, and my good friend ButtDanceCity's media blog, KP the Nerdoscientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment