Tuesday, August 23, 2011

You Say Scientific Reference, I Say Reprobate


As an avid bicyclist, bicycle aficionado, and all-around bike-lover, I have a great respect for the bicycle helmet. Beyond general self-awareness and following the rules of the road, the bicycle helmet is one of the few ways a cyclist can help ensure his or her own safety. That's why I was taken aback when I came across a supposed bicycle advocacy website that purposefully denounced the use of helmets, citing their "scientific reference on helmets." Their reference is for the so-called 'Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation.' I should warn you that, should you decide to visit this reference website, your head might explode due to the sheer volume of stupid that will be racing over the internet directly into your brain.

Here's what the 'research institute' is all about. They've compiled a bunch of research studies that show that bicycle helmets make cyclists safer. They take these studies and tear them apart, looking for any gaps or holes that can be used to decry the findings and conclusions of the study. Then they look at a bunch research studies that show that helmet-wearing cyclists are not statistically significantly safer than non-helmeted cyclists, which they take as gospel. This is, of course, because these studies back the conclusion that they had obviously settled upon beforehand: helmets may or may not make bicyclists safer, so no one should use them.

Basically the authors have decided that they don't like helmets, so they dig up a bunch of literature to justify themselves, often failing to understand or purposefully misconstruing the conclusions of the papers that they've cited. I should probably be a little more fair and honest about this; the authors are actually against mandatory bicycle helmet legislation. No matter their underlying goals, though, it really is quite despicable.

How about this instead: Helmet use has been estimated to reduce head injury risk by 85 percent, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Oh and by the way, I'd say the biggest difference between the IIHS and these turds who run the anti-helmet website is that the IIHS isn't made up of a bunch of quacks trying to come to a preconceived conclusion.

Overall, the website reminded me a lot of the websites of climate change skeptics. Obviously subjective and including only the evidence required to illuminate their own narrow viewpoint. And I think it's rather pathetic that this is what these people have devoted their time to. Not wearing bicycle helmets seems to have caused them to take a few too many blows to the head, if you know what I mean. But I guess we're all entitled to our point of view, no matter how idiotic it may be.

2 comments:

  1. I've ridden a bicycle for basic transportation all my life. I started wearing a helmet after a bad accident as a teen. Since then, in 30 years and nearly a quarter million miles, I've only actually USED a helmet once.

    The helmet shattered into pieces. My skull did not. Boy, was I glad I was wearing one!

    I hope I never have to use another helmet again, but you can bet it's up there, just in case.

    Fighting for freedom and civil liberties, and against mandates, is one thing. Trying to discredit the value of wearing a helmet is entirely another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have hit my head several times over the years and have seen others take a sharp blow to the noggin many times. As an avid mountain biker in south central Missouri, you can bet that I have witnessed the power of a good helmet. Not only can you fall off your bike and hit your head, but tree branches can smack you too. The helmet can actually be used as a ram to make your way through thick brush.

    As a physical therapist I see how disabling a head injury can be. It can destroy your cozy functional life in a half a second and causes a lifetime of misery. How hard is it to strap one on, really. Besides, the helmet creates a fashion statement commonly referred to as the tri-hawk when removing the helmet following a good healthy ride. Don't you want to impress your babe with your new hair?

    ReplyDelete