Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The End of Movember - Update Style

As I mentioned in my previous post, I did indeed shave my moustache on December 1, signifying the end of Movember.  Now that the moustache is gone, I'll be working on my winter beard.  Here is a picture of me without the moustache - not totally clean-shaven, as I was sporting four days worth of growth when this picture was taken; but not looking particularly bearded, either.


I should note that this picture, along with the last one I posted in which I am sporting the moustache, were taken by my lovely wife and featured on her blog, CoMo Cycle Chic.  I should also note that her blog is a lot better than mine.

Anyways, subsequent to last week's post, I received a comment regarding an additional issue concerning beard wearers:  hygiene.  But not just any normal old pirate-on-the-hair-ship hygiene.  The journal article that was brought to my attention by my colleague and good friend KP is titled, 'Microbiological Laboratory Hazard of Bearded Men.'  This study examined the risk that a beard poses to exposing the wearers' friends and family to potentially dangerous microorganisms.  Of course, this only applies to microbiologists or other laboratory workers who often come into contact with such dangerous organisms.  I don't commonly deal with harmful species of bacteria, so this isn't much of a concern for me personally.  But for all of you bearded microbiologists out there:  beware!  You may be exposing your loved ones to more than just unfettered manliness!

1 comment: