Monday, December 19, 2011

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

I've become a regular reader of a motorcycle blog called Chin on the Tank.  Although the theme is cafe racers and similarly-styled vintage motorcycles, the content varies quite a lot.  The author has a workshop and is a skilled photographer, so he takes a lot of pictures of his shop and the bike projects that he works on.  He also includes information on the local cafe racer scene, promotes motorcycle events, and documents group rides.  It's a fun blog and it's made me yearn for a vintage motorcycle.

Why am I bringing this up, you ask?  Well, as I've mentioned before, I am a bicycle enthusiast of sorts.  In particular, I enjoy restoring older bikes and putting them back on the road.  In my garage I essentially have a fully functioning bicycle workshop and I spend a fair amount of time working on my personal restorations, as well as a pretty steady stream of projects for my friends.  And so I'm considering starting a bicycle blog.  On this blog I would document and detail the projects that I work on.  Posts would include a lot of photographs - particularly before-and-after images of full-on rebuilds.  And I would try to include a lot of information on the restoration process, costs involved, problems and challenges that I came across, etc.  I would probably also talk about group rides that I participate in, and discuss any notable events from my daily bicycle commute.

The reason I'm mentioning this here is because if I start a new blog, it is unlikely that I would be able to continue updating this one.  There are only so many hours in the day, and I'm unable to spend much of them writing blog entries.  I should note that there are a number of other good science blogs out there, whereas I have been unable to find a good bicycle restoration blog.  On the other hand, I sometimes go fairly long periods without having any bike-related projects, and the cold Missouri winter can really cripple my motivation to work out in the garage.  So updates might sometimes be sparse (though it's not like I'm doing a great job of updating this one consistently).  A few things I should note about this:  1) it's likely that a bicycle blog will motivate me to spend more time tinkering in the shop, 2) I can always ditch the new blog and pick this one back up if things aren't working out the way I had envisioned, and 3) I have a fairly substantial back-log of projects, so I could fill the gaps in current projects with old projects that I've worked on in the past.

Thoughts on which direction I should go?  Let me know...stay the course or try something new?


No comments:

Post a Comment